I am also one of these guys that look for a used mobile (usually a good mobile that was released 1-2 years ago) instead of buying a new cell phone. But a refurbished phone from South Korea (or anywhere else in the world) might be blacklisted and moreover, you need to know if it can be SIM Unlocked or even unbarred.
This is why Korea Blacklist IMEI Check tools exist.
What is a mobile Blacklist Database
Dealing with mobile theft and reselling is a huge issue and something had to be done to tackle with it. The best way to deal with stolen iPhones and all cell phones was the formation of a blacklist database.
The idea of a cell phone Blacklist DB started in Europe back in 2004 and the creation of GSMA IMEI database. In 2013, USA and Canada developed their own CTIA database and since then almost every country in the world has a national IMEI Blacklist database.
In 2018, many counties share their blacklists, cross-border or even overseas.
How a cellphone gets blacklisted
Every smartphone has a unique 15-digit IMEI number. This number contains all the info about a mobile and Wireless Networks use it to store and verify all phones in national IMEI databases.
When a cellular phone:
- is reported as stolen or lost to a telecoms network by the original owner
- is flagged as replaced after an insurance claim or illegal hardware replacement
- there are unpaid contract bills to a Mobile Network
it is tracked down by the Carriers in the IMEI DB and moved inside the blacklist. Once inside there, the phone won’t be usable with any SIM card inside the country it was blacklisted or more countries if the blacklist is shared.
A blacklisted phone will be useless unless the reason it was blacklisted is lifted. A mobile that is not blacklisted is a CLEAN mobile.
The South Korean Blacklist
Korea uses a national blacklist with the same features explained without sharing info with other nations.
Why use a Korea Blacklist IMEI Check?
If you want to purchase a second-hand iPhone or Android Smartphone from Korea there is a good chance that you might get a blacklisted phone. You see, it’s impossible to use a blacklisted cell phone without unbarring or network unlocking it but this doesn’t stop thieves from selling them.
The mobile description you see on an online market can be easily faked. But even if you buy a refurbished cellphone from a local store or through a personal transaction, you are still in danger.
On top of that, how can you unlock a blacklisted phone without knowing which Carrier blacklisted it and why?
What is a Korea Blacklist IMEI Check Service?
A blacklist IMEI Checker is only a part of a Full IMEI Check Service. This service uses the IMEI number of the mobile you want to analyze and shows you:
- The Blacklist Status of the cell phone (blacklisted or CLEAN)
- Which Wireless Network barred the mobile
- Why this phone was blacklisted
- Depending on the Korea Blacklist IMEI Check results suggests the appropriate legal and working SIM Unlocking and Unblacklisting Services for the iPhone or Android device
You can find a phone’s IMEI number by dialing *#06# or going to mobile general settings
How to use an IMEI Blacklist Checker?
If you already bought a blacklisted phone from South Korea then unlocking it, is tricky.
- If it was blacklisted for pending contract bills you can contact the Cellular Network and pay for them in order to unblacklist it.
- If the cell phone was stolen or lost then you will need a third-party unlock option but you need to be careful because only a few of them work for a limited amount of Carriers and even if you manage to SIM unlock a blacklisted phone you won’t be able to use it inside the country it was blacklisted unless you unbar it
Is there a Free Korea Blacklist IMEI Check tool?
In order to have access to GSM IMEI Databases, an IMEI Check provider must be GSMA’s official partner and this involves yearly fees.
I hope you found this article useful. Leave a comment below with questions and thoughts. Until next time, take care!